This program allows SF an opportunity to assess each soldier’s capabilities by testing his physical, emotional, and mental stamina.
The SFAS also allows each soldier the opportunity to make a meaningful and educated decision about SF and his career plan.
Soldiers attend SFAS on a temporary duty status
- You should plan to be at Fort Bragg, North Carolina for up to 30 days.
- You will be trained in all military subjects used in the assessment.
- The course is individual cross country land navigation based covering distances from 18 kilometers up to on or about 50 kilometers.
- The distances and weight carried increase during the course, but being prepared mentally and physically for the events cannot be over emphasized.
Levels of Employment for Special Operations Forces:
- Advising and Assisting Host Governments
- Continental United States-based training
- Direct participation in Combat Operations.
The purpose of SFAS
Special Forces Career Management Field (CMF) 18 includes positions concerned with the employment of highly specialized elements to accomplish specially directed missions in times of peace and war. Many of these missions are conducted at times when employment of conventional military forces is not feasible or not considered in the best interest of the United States.
Training for and participation in these missions are arduous, somewhat hazardous, and are often sensitive in nature.
For these reasons, every prospective Special Forces Soldier must successfully complete the 3-week SFAS Course.
Be prepared for anything at SFAS
This is the place where “Your Mind is Your Best Weapon”
Perfect physical condition alone will not get you through SFAS
The SFAS Course assesses and selects soldiers for attendance at the SFQC
Stress in SFAS
The purpose of SFAS is to Identify Soldiers who have potential for Special Forces Training.
- The Program Assesses
- Tactical Skills
- Physical Fitness
- Ability to Cope with Stress
- Psychology Tests
- Physical Fitness
- Swim Test
- Obstacle Courses
- Rucksack Marches
- Small Unit Tactics
- Military Orienteering/Land Navigation Exercises.
When you report to Fort Bragg, North Carolina
You should be at 100 percent physical ability with zero percent stress level.
Any of the following might cause you stress while attending SFAS:
- Wife not in agreement with you.
- Financial problems at home.
- Medical problems with yourself or family.
- Not sure SF is what you want.
- Low self-esteem or lack of motivation.
- Not in top physical shape for SFAS.
- Just to escape your present unit or duty assignment.